Friday, November 9, 2012

Sonnet Analysis Part I

Analysis of sonnet 116 by Shakespeare

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love" - Shakespeare doesn't want to be in the way of love because love is an unstoppable force that pushes aside anything in its way. 

"Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no; it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken." - Loving someone means you accept them for who they are because you love every bit of them. Love is fixed. Once its made it marks on you, you will never forget it. Love is unmeasurable because it can't be contained or felt. 

"Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;" - Time strengths the bond between love. Love cannot be contained in time because it is unmeasurable. Time capitalized to empasize the importance of it, as if it were a force (person) or place of importance. You see, time can either build on love or slowly deteriorate it. 

"Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom."- As said before, love is unmeasurable. It can't be contained in a parameter because love is eternal. Love will continue to flourish till the end of time, 

"If this be error, and upon me prov'd,
I never writ, nor no man ever lov'd." - If what I have just stated is wrong, prove me wrong. If I am really wrong, then I am not a writer and there has never been a man in love because then they would have felt what I have just described.

No comments:

Post a Comment